About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Monday, January 31, 2011

Let's Keep the Kiddos Safe



Who likes sad stories?  Not me.

I am a HUGE fan of happy endings and I believe that we can create happy endings in our lives and the lives around us by making wise choices . . .

One way to create happy endings is to choose to acknowledge that bad stuff DOES happen  and to choose to KNOW how to prevent it from happening the first.  If it DOES happen, we need to know what to do.

I read this blog entry this weekend:  http://dollfamilyzone.blogspot.com/2010/07/breaking-silence.html

It is the story of a family who was doing their best to raise their family is a safe way, and BAD stuff still happened.  She shared her story in the hope that it might prevent some other heartbreak, and I admire her for her courage.

So it seems that to keep kiddos safe, a little discussion about Good Touch, Bad Touch and that third kind of touch is necessary.

Here's the link to an article I found that really offered some great ideas on how to discuss this uncomfortable topic with children.  I really liked the "safety rules" for kids page on this site, as well.

http://www.goodtouchbadtouch.com/child-safety-at-home/talking-to-a-child-about-abuse

Be well, and may you and yours always be safe.

~ Jenn

PS:  picture from this site.  http://www.urban-photography-art.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment