About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hunting Lionfish in the Caribbean



The Lionfish is as threatening as its name.  The Lionfish is native to the Indo-Pacific and arrived in the Atlantic after Hurricane Andrew hit Florida in 1992.  Because aquarium owners did not have electricity, they dumped their fish into the sea.

In 1994 a Lionfish was spotted off the Coast of Florida.  Now it is eating its way through the Caribbean and man is his only predator right now.

Divers are encouraged to carry Lionfish markers because the Lionfish tends to stay in the same area.   That way someone can return and capture this fish.

A Lionfish marker is easy to make and easy to use.  Check out this article for more information.

http://stthomasre.com/st-thomas-virgin-islands-news/juvenile-lionfish-found-on-st-john

Happy hunting to all of those out in the beautiful blue sea!

~ Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment