About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Playdough and Potato Bread

Some days are cooking days.  That's all there is to it.   Here's what we are cooking today: playdough and potato bread.

I can never make playdough without thinking of my Mom.  She would whip up a batch whenever the natives (me and my siblings or friends) were stuck in the house and needed something to do.  It kept very nicely in the refrigerator and we loved to use food coloring to make it different colors.

Playdough

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons Alum

Mix and then add

1 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
3 Tablespoons Veggie Oil

Another favorite?  Potato Bread

Potato Bread

1 quart ( 4 cups) Warm Water
1 Cup Mashed Potatoes
1 Pkg. Yeast ( 2 Tablespoons)
3/4 Cup of Sugar or Honey

Mix and let stand for 1 1/2 hours.

Add 3/4 Cup melted shortening or oil
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt

Enough flour to make the dough.

This is one of those recipes that you kind of need to know how to make bread before you attempt.  You need to know what bread dough is supposed to feel like.  If you want to attempt it anyway, go again.  Just know that when you knead the flour into the potato mixer, start with a big spoon or  electric beaters.  When the beater gets to where it is struggling, turn it off or you will burn the motor up in your lovely mixer!  Then turn it out onto a large surface, and add a cup or so of flour.  I like to put my fist into the batter, roll it over, add more flour, more putting of the fists into the dough until it reaches a bouncy texture.  When you stick your thumb into the dough, it should automatically close that hole up .  You can't overknead your bread.  ( this is not true of biscuits or pie dough, though!)

So, get it in a big lump, cover it in a warm spot until it doubles, put your fist into it again to make it small and shape it into desired shapes ( rolls, loaves, cinnamon buns, whatever.)  If you are baking rolls, they go about 20 minutes or so.  A loaf could go from 45 minutes to an hour.  I bake at 325.

My good friend Jeannette taught me how to make this bread because after all, you never know when you'll be out of milk and eggs and want some nice homemade bread.  :)

1 comment:

  1. What is Alum? And thanks for sharing the recipes. The playdough one is awesome.

    ReplyDelete