About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Ordinary Day Dance

I had a problem today.  My house was messy, and I don't like living in a messy house.  I had another problem, too.  I was really pretty ticked off about the mess, and having to be the person who either cleaned it, or motivated other people to clean it.  I wanted a magic wand, thank you very much.

I checked my broom closet, but, alas, no wand!

And so, since the disorder really was making me nuts, I rolled out some good music, and my cleaning supplies.  I do this thing where I set the timer, and start tackling the dishes, or another really needed task.  Usually by the time the timer goes off, I have made a considerable dent in the task at hand and I feel motivated to keep going . . .or I feel like I have permission to let myself stop, if I want to stop.  It works for me, for some reason . . .

I did a lot of thinking about my rotten attitude while I cleaned.  I even printed out a copy of this poem that I found awhile ago and really like:


A Kitchen Prayer

Lord of all pots and pans and things, since I’ve not time to be
A saint by doing lovely things or watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light or storming Heaven’s gates
Make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates.
Although I must have Martha’s hands, I have a Mary mind
And when I black the boots and shoes, Thy sandals, Lord I find.
I think of how they trod the earth, what time I scrub the floor
Accept this meditation Lord, I haven’t time for more.
Warm all the kitchen with Thy love, and light it with Thy peace
Forgive me all my worrying and make my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food, in room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do, I do it unto Thee.
-Author Unknown


And  later I did a little poetry writing of my own, because this really IS one of my New Year's Resolutions.



The Ordinary Day Dance


Today I'm going to do the
Ordinary Day Dance
I really will stop and smell the roses
And look beyond the flaws and see
All the potential surrounding me
I’m going to revel in how hot, soapy dishwater feels
And delight in a freshly scrubbed spot on my floor
I will smile when  I start the laundry,
Step happily into this life I live
And love the mundane that is mine

Be well, all.

~ Love, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment