About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mathspeak

Well, there are things I just would not do if I wasn't a parent. One is talk to children about how reproduction happens. Another thing I'd avoid at all costs? Pre-Algebra. 

I spend about 1 and 1/2 hours on math everyday. Currently I am studying pre-algebra, basic addition, place value and multiplication. And I am "getting it" just fine. I am actually kind of enjoying the Pre-algebra. 

I am impressed with myself, actually, because of all the subjects out there, math is the one that made me really squirm. I still remember taking my first Algebra final. I bit all my fingernails to the quick. I think that my Geometry class was as painful for my teacher as it was for me. I would go up to the teacher's desk and say "I don't understand". 

He would say back to me, in the same language that Charlie Brown's teacher used: "Mwwah, Mwwah, Mwwwah. Now do you understand?" 

I'd look at his exasperated face, and mutter "Uh, yeah". Then I would slink back to my desk and ask the girl beside me to please help me get this figured out. And she always complied. Funny thing is, I saw her in the store last year and she had NO idea who I was. I will never forget her. She really saved my bacon. 

And now I'll share the resources that are helping me with my math-a-phobia. Enjoy! 

http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com 

and 

http://www.khanacademy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment