About Me

This blog should really be titled "Jenn on the Move" because we aren't by the sea anymore. I am a Christian mom who has two teens, a tween and a toddler. I love books and I love to share what I learn from them with my kids. Sometimes I make them read something that I found especially helpful. I am planning on spending some time reading some books for teens or tweens and making up questions or notes about these books so I can email them to my kiddos and have them use them as tools to better understand said books . . . Maybe your kiddos can benefit, too . . .

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gooseneck Barnacles

Today was a field day.  We spent the day at the beach with homeschooling peeps and it was a good time for all.

We always seem to find something new when we go out.  Today's find?

Gooseneck Barnacles and a crab with orange eggs on her underside.

Another find?  Mosquito larva in some standing water on our porch.  My seven year old came running in "Mom! Mom!  There's minnows or something in this water!"

Yes, there was something, but it was not minnows . . .wouldn't THAT have been a scientific puzzle?

Here's just some of what we learned about Gooseneck Barnacles:

~The barnacle has been described as a shrimplike animal standing on its head in a limestone house and kicking food into its mouth with its feet. 


~They breathe through their legs ( cirri) and body wall


~Some attach themselves to living animals like porpoises, whales and turtles


( The above information was taken from "barnacle." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2008. Encyclopedia.com. (November 16, 2010).http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-barnacle.html)


And here's a picture, taken from the same site:



Of course, what we were looking at was not so neatly labeled, but this is what they looked like.


Be well, all, and thanks for reading!


~ Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment